Yesterday morning I was stopped at a stoplight when suddenly I wasn't stopped at it any longer. When I got out of my wrecked car, I found that the woman driving the turqois pickup behind me (now about 50 yards behind me) was hysterical. I felt fine. For a couple of hours.
How do I feel today?
Like I've been hit by a truck.
Also, I feel like an idiot. There should be a manual that they give to you with a car called auto accidents for dummies with step-by-step information on what to do immediately afterwards.
It would include information that somehow didn't surface on my mind like:
1. Call 911 and report it
2. Get other party's information
3. get paramedics to tell you you are ok, don't just assume because there's a reason movies show men shoot up with adrenaline and then run four miles carrying hundreds of pounds while their limbs fall off.
Thank goodness there were witnesses to take care of the first of those details, because police and paramedics, bless their hearts(and thank goodness for them!), can't do their jobs if they're not called! Luckily I am actually just fine, just sore and stiff. The other woman needed attention very badly - no blood, but lots of shock and probably bad whiplash.
Moral of the story? Have insurance that will cover you well. It's worth the price if you are a safe driver because you can't control the actions of others.
Oh, and, I'm going to keep a list of things to do in my car in case I lose my mind again if there is a next time.
5 comments:
I agree, there should totally be a step-by-step accident manual included in every vehicle. The first time I was rearended, I didn't call the cops and my mom had to take me down to the police station to fill out an accident report.
I'm glad you're ok and I hope the stiffness goes away soon, and I'm sorry to hear about your new car.
I am so glad you're ok! That must have been a crummy way to start your day:(
I'm glad you are OK! But, let's hope your pains go away and stay away! Some people are affected by it for a long time! Sucks about the car, though!
seriously! We were hit by a semi truck after spinning out on some black ice. We were all fine but we had no idea what to do. So we called our parents :) I'm glad that you were ok. Do you get anew car or a nice check?
We are so glad that you are not seriously hurt. A list is a great idea. Hope the car is repairable or will soon be replaced.
Post a Comment