Sunday, October 12, 2008

Lianna's top 5

5. I started and kept our family's budget until J started his cool new financial management class
4. My neighbor's son looks really cool in J's glasses - and it makes me cool because I took a picture. =)

3. Thanks to my mom, I can now make fabulous granola from scratch.

2. My friends at the newspaper made me a sign, because I'm the Editor in Chief

1. I'm married to a very cute mad scientist!



In other news, I'm really happy because we and our neighbors rented a carpet cleaner and cleaned our carpet! It makes me feel better, even though you can't see a difference. Unfortunately, that means that our house was turned all around, and it still hasn't been fixed. please imagine lots of boxes everywhere, and lots of junk on the table.. and chairs where they shouldn't be. It's kind of like a game to get through our house. ^_^

In more other news, (in case anyone is from California and knows what it is), I'm going to vote yes on proposition 8. In case you don't know, it amends the CA constitution so that it permanently says "only marriage between a man and a women is valid or recognized in CA." Why am I voting yes?
Because it opens the door to reverse discrimination.
Voting 'no' would be, I believe, paving the way for legal discrimination against those who belong to a religion that preaches traditional marriage. It may not mean that in other states, but CA is especially concerned about political correctness - in fact many people who are religious now in CA spend a lot of time defending their views because traditional religion is often considered politically incorrect or inconsiderate. Voting 'no', and allowing lawmakers and lobbyists to make laws that recognize marriage between any two parties equally, would create an environment hostile to traditional marriage views whether that is the intention or not. I don't think that discrimination against anyone is right - whether those people have nontraditional OR traditional views.
If the real issue is fully equal economic and family rights, then I don't believe equally recognized marriage will achieve that in a way that is fair to all parties in CA.

2 comments:

Katie said...

You truly are very cool...have I mentioned lately that I am SO excited to see you at Christmas?

Mallory Clan said...

Good for you Lianna and I couldn't agree more. We have a similar proposition here in Arizona...prop 102, which basically states the same thing. Marriage between a man and woman, nothing else. I hadn't thought about the reasons you stated. Very good point.