Thursday, December 6, 2007

So, the semester is almost over! And, just as we are facing the last few days of class, and the first few days of finals, our little paradise was rocked by very harsh winds. The weather websites said they were 40 mph, but in reality they were strong enough to knock down several power poles from Kahuku to Ha'aula. So, for those of us who live between the two towns, power was nonexistent from about 3 am (I don't know if that's the time for sure, but that's what I've been told,) until about 4:30 pm today, and the roads blocked our passage away from the North Shore. Luckily, we did have hot water, and we have a gas stove and plenty of lighters. Also luckily, today was quite a beautiful day: sunny, warm. AND luckily, because the power was out, the school was closed down, so we were allowed to enjoy it!
Unfortunately, that meant that JD couldn't take his analytical chemistry lab practical today.. and that annoyed him pretty badly; it's a once-a-week lab class, and there is no other time available to give the practical without interfering with other finals.
But, on the whole, we enjoyed our day without school =)

When the power finally came back on, the first thing I did was check my email; the first thing J did was turn on his x-box and play x-box Live.
In the ensuing hours, I did homework, went to the TVA office to pick up a package from Mom Q, ( a cool Christmas decoration, our official second one,) and then I decorated our door with the wrapping paper from the package, and did some more homework, and made dinner.. and took pictures of J still playing x-box!
Isn't he cute?





Our very first Christmas decorative Snock
( a Snowman sock I made last year. Not the prettiest decor ever, but certainly one of the squishiest):

Our lovely package from Mom Q, set up and posted on our wall!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Good luck on your finals! I'm glad JD was doing something so productive while you were getting so much done, Lianna. At least it is comforting to know that some things never change.

Sharah said...

Yay for Christmas decorations! I love the light-up candy canes. I miss you guys sooo much!

mikensi said...

i remember those sock things. in fact, i remember not making one.. but he sure looks squishy!