Sunday, January 16, 2011

epic fail, and the scent of lilac

my vow of entertainment celibacy has been ... well.. let's just say if my mind was a damsel distressing in entertainment-sludge and my self control was a knight in shining armour.. the knight failed to save her. Epically. And the palace bard wrote a ballad about the sad tale. In fact, the damsel probably turned into an evil sorceress because she felt abandoned. Which sounds a lot like a show I watched this past week. (Merlin, it is very good if you don't mind slightly cheesy sci-fi/fantasy. I love it.)

We'll see how this adventure continues, because there was once a time when I didn't have the urge to watch movies and television.
Many eons ago
in a galaxy far far away
I preferred to go on a hike
rather than to sit and watch tv.
This was before I worked.
And, boy, was it an exhausting week last week.
Relief Society re-motivated me this week to be a little better, a little less lazy. One thing I love about this church is its power of motivation by spiritual prompting and fulfilling. The teacher didn't evoke emotion and shout and make me feel guilty (my own guilt-meter was doing that all week, goodness knows it didn't work). I felt the sweet calming of the spirit, telling me I was loved and that the Lord was behind me 100% and was just waiting for me to remember the things that have eternal importance. In the eternal plan it doesn't matter if I fit someone in this week, or next week. All that matters is that I am working to my best talents and serving the Lord; the Lord will help me muddle through the rest. There are huge consequences of my actions (esp working) but the words to Be Still My Soul gave me the faith I needed. "Leave to thy God to order and provide..." Not that I plan to do nothing; I just don't have to do it all by myself when I really cannot control the outcome. They also gave us lilac potpourri and chocolate. No one knows women like the Relief Society (Backed and run, of course, by the omniscient and all loving man upstairs.) AMEN.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm grateful for all the second chances we get to try and be better too. I sure need them!

Alicia W said...

Good luck. I waste plenty of time on entertainment, but I get a lot done too. I figure all in moderation, right? I say put some of your time writing a book. I think a good sorceress novel would be fun. Wait, is writing entertainment breaking the rules?