Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Toilet Talk (no photos)

One of the things I appreciate most about parenthood is that some of the most poignant epiphanies can happen during the most mundane circumstances. Bed time is often the time for us.
A few weeks ago, Korrali was being especially silly at our bedtime song and asked for a song about eyes, then a song about family (pointing to the photos on her wall).  I took advantage and sang Families can be Together Forever. Because of her penchant for questions, and love of putting off bed time, we launched into a mini discussion about eternal family and the atonement.
It made me all glowy feeling inside.
Fast forward a few weeks, weeks full of back and forth about reverent prayers and wanting to play instead of scriptures etc.. The normal mode of life here.
Then at bed time potty Korrali was having a rather unpleasant conversation with the imaginary version of a real acquantaintance (her imaginary friends are all real people whom she loves usually). I decided I should intervene.. So I asked who she was talking to and she said the name of a girl in her nursery class whose mother passed away last year, and who misses her terribly and often has hard moments because of it.
Then we talked about having her over to play and Korrali asked about her mom. I told her she was with heavenly father - Korrali understands quite a bit about death after both our dog and a close close family friend passed   away last year. Then this happened:
K: she's dead, but she will come back.
Me: yes, but not for a long time. She misses her a lot.
K: yes, but heavenly father- her mommy- he made it so she can come back one day. (singing) I have a family here on Earth, they are so good to me!

I don't think I can take credit, but I'm just so glad I was there to hear her mind putting things together with such unshaken belief.

3 comments:

jeanene c said...

How do we get so lucky...blessed!

Katie said...

Faith is so simple for little ones; we can sure learn from them!

Stubbs Love said...

Funny you mention K and families because my Makena is simply intrigued that Christ was baptized (we have attended a few baptisms and explained its importance) and that Christ died and was resurrected (discussed during Sacrament why eat the bread and the water). Most conversations as of late are about heaven, death, Christ and the Resurrection. Interesting the things they hold on to =) Glad to see y'all are adjusting. Congrats on baby Claire!