Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Ok, now more than a few vague words regarding my back surgery since many, including family didn't know. Yes, I had a microdiscectomy. Ironically enough, it was treatment for a work comp injury I had.  And as you all continue to pour out your love and support as you learn about it, I am feeling very grateful and feel I should say those three words that should be spoken and heard much more often among friends and family:

Resistance is futile.

The surgery started well enough, but things rapidly descended into chaos.  The MD said that “it was a mess” around L5-S1.  After trying unsuccessfully to repair me the best he can, things started to look bad and the MD opted to make an emergency decision and amputate the lower part of my body, just below the navel. He then attempted to attach me to some next-gen, wickedly awesome cybernetic legs, only to have my condition severely worsen as my body harshly rejected the foreign leads connecting to my frayed nerve endings. Things only got worse from there.  

In a final, drastic decision and attempt to save my life, my brain was removed. It is currently housed in a 12 foot titanium mobile apparatus suspended by status fields.  A modified version of the laughably rudimentary tech you call functional MRIs transmit signals to my vastly upgraded titanium body. My limbs contain, among other rings, a taser net, flame thrower, and a micro nuke rail gun.  Think of the awesome weapon from the 5th element, on crack, and steroids, pumped with human growth hormone, and you will begin to comprehend the power in these “guns.” (pun intended… is that a pun? Who knows.)


Thank you for your support and I look forward to assimilating chatting with you all. 

Ok, so I did have surgery and it went well.  The injury occurred Dec 2013 and I've been treating since.  Surgery was scheduled, then cancelled, then rescheduled quickly as someone else cancelled on the MD. The MD did say my lower back circa L5-S1 was a mess (not sure what this means as Lianna didn't ask, being too relieved that it went to get details) and cleaned it out.  My anesthesiologist was amazing as I was awake and completely lucid enough to work 1 hour after leaving the OR room with no nausea. I'm doing well, and am in pain associated with surgery, but it isn't bad, so far. I did have a nerve block affected the S1-S2 dematome which means I have a had time peeing (TMI?  Nah)  Imagine an old man with a severely enlarged prostate peeing in squirts... over 30 minutes.  The end.  Boring.  But continued prayers are appreciated as Lianna attempts to take care of 2 toddlers, one of which is not quite functional.

SELFIE!!!!!

1 comment:

Geevz said...

I'm glad you are healing! And your selfie warranted an amused exhale :)