A little like Columbus probably felt when he announced he would sail AROUND a square globe, I have had my moments of certainty and my moments of doubt about moving states during my third trimester. I didn't feel at all like a bold adventurer, more like a scared sailor watching my bearings slowly edge toward the end of the known Atlantic. One of the major worries was that while we were certainly seeking the benefits of increased trade with the East Indies or rather, a better job within Joe's company, we knew that there would be challenges and that we would have to dip quite a bit into our monarchical Savings prior to seeing the real return on our investment in Life Voyaging. Not to mention, while we had the trusty sea-worthy ship the
Jehosephat, and the slightly more tired, barnacle encrusted
Lia-Gravida, we also had a brand new, never been tested vessel: the
Bambinita Esperanza. Before we moved I officially christened my baby-bark, and began outfitting her with necessities, and have made it my goal to home-make (free) or second-hand (close to free) most of her nursery items. There are, of course, several items I would NOT second-hand, like a mattress, but I am hoping to save as much as I can until our new trade routes are firmly established.
I am proud to proclaim that my first home-made item is actually a success: A changing pad cover made from an old pillowcase.
Changing pad: free gift from a friend who moved in Fargo and had one they were using. Pillowcase: an old old old one from my childhood. Elastic: actually from a really old pair of home-made pj's.. so really, the entire project was free.
Next project: Stuffed Bunny from my old pair of pink pjs. Future projects? Probably another couple of changing pad covers, sheets and bumpers from old appropriately colored sheets (apparently I've liked the same colors for years, and chose those same colors for the baby's room. Way to go Habits!)
That is, those will be the next projects if I can finish the licensing, registrations, fees, and other DMV, hospital, banking etc logistics of moving states.
3 comments:
So fun. I still have the baby 'night dress' I made while I was pregnant with Keith. It's yellow, cause in those days we had to wait to know the baby's gender. I used a patern my mom bought when she was expecting me.
I love the way you write! Good for you for doing these things on your own!
Looks great! I can't wait to see the bunny. I'm definitely not jealous of the moving errands. DMV bleck.
Post a Comment