Sunday, September 7, 2008
Vacuums are to floors as...
So Lianna and I came home the other day to make a shocking discovery... our entire house was INFESTED with these little red flour beetles. The discovery came over a few days. You see, we noticed these bugs, flying stupidly, all around our house. There was one here and one there, but nothing too big. I just thought that they had come from something that we put in the trash, and removing the trash would bring their slow demise in our home... but I was wrong. Their numbers did not wane, but grew stronger day by day. When I say they fly stupidly, I'm not kidding. These beetles seem to have no purpose in life. They fly, not in a straight, decisive path, but more like as if they are trying out new wings that have recently come to them via evolution. They fly this way and that, bumping clumsily into things and falling out of the air. Then they do the same things with their legs! They walk everywhere and nowhere at the same time! They seemed to have no purpose! We'd find them on the tables, T.V., curtains, bed, bath tub, window seal, computer, couch, phone, door, and any other possible place you could think of. But the day that we came home we realized that it was much worse than we thought. In the kitchen, on the window screen, there were about 157.5 of these bugs, just sitting there, as if they were sun bathing in the lazy, late-afternoon light. There were too many to kill by the hand, because using the hand would knock three or four onto the ground or into flight. So I grabbed the vacuum and started sucking the life out of them all, one by one. After the window screen, I swung my vacuum towards the wall, sucking them off the wall. Then Lianna said, "Look up at the ceiling." We have those dumb textured ceilings that if you touch them, it showers you and everything below with a thin blanket of white particles. Well, nearly every one of those crevasses housed a little bug. There were hundreds, all of them resting is a crevasse as if they had been put in time out. I armed myself with a chair and vacuum and hunted these bugs, hundreds of them, for about an hour. Vacuuming the ceiling, cupboards, food containers, everything. Then this lead us to the source. A box of oatmeal that had been ripped open by the beetles cohorts, the ants. We threw away quite a bit of food, even a bag of dried kidney beans that had been more or less reduced to dust from the massive horde of the beetle-ant army. After about two hours of cleaning, the death and destruction of the bugs stopped. It appeared that we were victorious. Now, after a few days, there are still a few lone survivors that we see once in a while, but for the most part, the invasion is over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ewwwww! That's horrible! I'm glad you conquered the nasty bugs. We had an infestation of weevils in my last apartment. i would be at school and pull a book out of my bag and one of those nasty things would be crawling all over. I went to town on them too, and I'll be forever haunted by that memory. An important lesson was learned that I will never forget: always keep your kitchen clean and food put away!
I absolutely hate bugs...any bugs, ALL bugs. We just bought a new house and it sits at the base of the White Tank Mountains (the mere fact that people call these purplish, brown mounds of dirt mountains is laughable). We have had so many bugs. Tons of the box elder bugs and little tiny black beetles. And you HAVE to keep the bug population down her or you get scorpions which are dang near impossible to get rid of. So the pest control man has become my new best friend!
Ick!
YUCK YUCK YUCK! What teenagers don't understand- when you are the grown up, you have to clean up and fix the bug problems. What I wouldn't give to have my mom and dad fix the things that go wrong. I'm not ready for grown up life. Miss you cuz!
im with Aimee...pest control all the way...Im pretty sure i would have had to move out! at least till they were dead and gone forever! im a wimpy wimp i know!
your description of those purpose-less bugs wandering to no where remind me of some people I know... ok, maybe it just reminds me of me. (Except I can't fly. Wish I could.) One day I will find a purpose and stop wandering idly around. Or maybe a giant will come and vacuum me up. That could be cool too.
Post a Comment